AIS and AISC at UCLA acknowledge the Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (Los Angeles basin, So. Channel Islands) and are grateful to have the opportunity to work for the taraaxatom (indigenous peoples) in this place. As a land grant institution, we pay our respects to Honuukvetam (Ancestors), ‘Ahiihirom (Elders), and ‘eyoohiinkem (our relatives/relations) past, present and emerging.
Have questions about creating your own land acknowledgment? Check out the guidelines or visit the Special Advisor to the Chancellor on Native American and Indigenous Affairs website for other resources.
Welcome to the UCLA American Indian Studies Center
The UCLA American Indian Studies Center (AISC) was founded in 1969 as a research institute dedicated to addressing American Indian issues and supporting Native communities. The AISC serves as a hub of activities for Indigenous students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community, as well as serving as a bridge between the academy and indigenous peopleslocally, nationally, and internationally. We foster innovative academic research by students and faculty, publish leading scholarship in the field of American Indian Studies, and support events and programming focused on indigenous issues.
The Center also works in collaboration with some of the country’s most influential and respected scholars writing and teaching in American Indian Studies today, who have made UCLA one of the highest ranked and most respected universities in the field. We invite you to explore our website to learn more about us.
Director, American Indian Studies Center
Professor, Department of Gender Studies and Anthropology
Talk with Desi Small-Rodriguez (Northern Cheyenne and Chicana), Assistant Professor in Sociology and American Indian Studies.
Talk with Kyle Mays (Black and Saginaw Chippewa), Assistant Professor in African American Studies and American Indian Studies and History.
Talk with Nanibaa Garrison (Dine), Associate Professor in the Institute for Society and Genetics, the Institute for Precision Health, and the Division of General Internal Medicine & Health Services Research
- Native Bruins: Past, Present & Emerging – Caitlin “Katie” Kaliiaa
- Native Bruins: Past, Present & Emerging – Elizabeth FastHorse
- Reappointment of David Yoo as Vice Provost of the Institute of American Cultures
- Native Bruins: Past, Present & Emerging – Ṫośa Two Heart
- Congratulations to Peter Nabokov!
- Native Bruins: Past, Present & Emerging – Caleb Dunlap
- Congratulations to Joy Holland on Promotion to Full Librarian
- Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education Votes to Dedicate $10 Million to Native and Indigenous Student Education
- Re-Appointment of American Indian Studies Center Director Shannon Speed
- [Democracy Now] As COVID Surges in L.A., Hard-Hit Indigenous Communities Fight to Preserve Life, Culture & Language