Location and Hours
*Closed on holidays
*Occasional exceptions to hours will be posted on the library door, or noted on our website. Requesting a special appointment or calling with a question is always welcome. 310-206-7510
Hours are subject to change.
Follow the AISC Library:
About the Library
The American Indian Studies Center Library is a focused special collection of books, journals, newspapers, and other core materials of importance to the study of American Indian peoples. The collection contains a wide range of subjects, including history, law, social relations, expressive arts, languages and literature.
- Everyone is welcome to use the AISC Library during the hours the library is open.
- The AISC Library is a non-circulating collection, and records of its holdings are available through the UCLA Library Catalog.
- The AISC Library is staffed by a professional librarian who is available to provide assistance in using the library’s resources as well as additional relevant materials available in other libraries at UCLA.
The library maintains a collection of core published materials of importance to the study of American Indian, Native Hawaiian, and native Alaska peoples, primarily those residing within the borders of the United States.
- The collection covers a wide variety of relevant subjects, including history, law, social relations, expressive arts, language, literature, and folklore.
- Some items in the collection are found on the UCLA campus only at the American Indian Studies Center Library.
- The serials received by the American Indian Studies Center Library include some tribally produced newspapers, American Indian newspapers with a national focus, as well as relevant magazines and journals. Many of these publications are not indexed and must be consulted directly to determine their contents
- Full-text access to American Indian newspapers is also available through the California Digital Library.
- The AISC Library also has a small collection of unpublished dissertations and theses.
Using the UCLA American Indian Studies Center Library
Everyone is welcome to use the collections in the AISC Library during the hours the library is open. From time to time the library staff may need to be away from the library during normal operating hours, and so we suggest you call before you come. Parking on campus costs for the day, although there are also timed, metered parking spaces. For information about parking on the UCLA campus please see https://main.transportation.ucla.edu/campus-parking/visitors. If you arrive at a UCLA Parking Services kiosk, we suggest requesting parking in Structure 3, if available, and ask for a campus map with Campbell Hall circled.
The AISC Library is a non-circulating collection. Circulating copies of many items in the AISC Library are often available in one of the units of the UCLA Library. For information about borrowing materials from the UCLA Library, please see its Loan Period and associated web pages.
Limited photocopying of library materials is available, and must be performed by library staff.